Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Servant Song

Servant. This word keeps popping up in my mind.

Today is Election Day. The day we take the time out of our already busy schedules to cast our vote on a variety of candidates and issues. If elected, these candidates often use the term “public servant.” I’m not even touching the range of thoughts on that. No way.

But what does is mean, “to serve?” To be a servant?

At POEM, we serve mothers, families, communities and our state by welcoming and caring for moms struggling with perinatal (all pregnancy through a year or so postpartum) emotional difficulties.  We know that maternal mental health is central to family health.  Family health is central to community health.  Community health is central to the health of our state.  Here in Ohio we have much to do, and we continue to serve each and every day.

Moms we serve are from many different backgrounds, philosophies, belief systems, ethnicities and so on. We truly believe the every woman is the expert of her own life and thusly, respect her thoughts and decisions.

I hold this POEM philosophy very dear. Yet, I am compelled to share this very personal part of me – a few lines of what might be my favorite hymn. The Servant Song. I get a little teary eyed nearly every time we sing it. Last week, we sang it at choir rehearsal and I kept thinking of a couple of conversations I’d had on the Support Line that day.

And then, yesterday evening on a Support Line call, a new mother said to me about 25 minutes into our conversation: “You sound so calm. You must have it all figured out. I bet you’re a great mom.” And as I gently responded with what wellness is really like, I thought again of this song.

I think of the wonderfully unique mothers I talk with each day.

I know how hard you work. And I want you to know that you’re not going it alone. Yes, with help, you will feel better. The darkness, confusion and worry will wane.

But there’s no one who’s got it all figured out. No mom who always knows what to do. No mom who’s sure of herself all the time.

So I’m sharing excerpts of a few verses of the beautiful song written by New Zealander Richard Gillard in hopes you’ll know that we’re here, with you.

We are pilgrims on a journey
We are trav’lers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load

I will hold the light for you
In the night-time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the peace you long to hear

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through

We’re here, walking the journey of motherhood together, sharing peace in the darkest hours. We’re here, right beside you.



1 comment:

Amy said...

Thank you for putting those beautiful words. They truly are the words for POEM.